Monday, December 27, 2010

The world as I see it?

I wonder what true happiness feels like.  I wonder if I have access to true happiness and contentment.  I am nineteen years old and I have just finished my first semester of school at a little Catholic school in the middle of the barren wasteland that is North Dakota.  Being a freshman in college I have got sense that it is normal to be confused at this stage of my life.  But I wonder if achieving happiness is as easy as declaring a major in teaching or is there something deeper and intricate and more beautiful of a process that a person has to go through. Is fulfillment in life found in buying more and more things or is it something more. I don’t know what it is with some people. They feel like they run through life with always having something to get done, it is really easy to make yourself look and feel busy. But the tough part comes when you want to stop everything and just look around and thinking of stuff that really matters.
I watch a lot of television, sometimes I think I watch too much, but anyways one night I was watching a show about the ocean. Some deep sea submarine found a type of crab that has never been seen before by human eyes. I said to my father, who was watching with me, “What a life” and he replied “what do you mean?” I answered “that crab has no worries in the world it just exists.” Then my father being the deep thinker said “It is just praising God. Unlike us it has no choice but to praise God, that’s all that crab knows. And us as humans are given a choice to praise God, unlike that crab.” Wow, all that that crab knows and will ever know is how to praise God in everything that it does. And not just that crab but every other animal on the planet. One of life’s bug questions is what the point is, or what the purpose of our lives is. If only it was as easy as the crabs or rhino’s or the mosquito, but unfortunately it isn’t. This might be a crazy thought but what if the purpose of life is our search to find how we can be like the crab. The purpose of our life is to find out how to praise God in everything we do and not think twice about praising Him. It seems to me that for some people this is easy, such as a child prodigy who can play Beethoven by ear at the age of two. And then there are some other people who can never find one thing to focus on, they are in a million places at once and can never become content with anything this life has to offer, they need something that this world does not offer. I feel more like the second one.
I don’t have any answers I just have ideas that bring more questions, which some questions won’t be answered in this life. I wanted to start a blog because someday it is on my list of things to do before I die to write a book and I have heard that a blog is a good place to start. I have no clue what I will write about next but I have a good feeling that it will have something to do in some intricate way with the search for happiness and contentment in life. I am not an expert on much of anything, I don’t have the answers this blog is merely the world as I see it. I am a Christian and I know that if I don’t find contentment in this life I will most definitely find it in the next, when I enter into His eternal glory. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You're a thinker! Realize it, embrace it, and be ready for an entire life of deep thought. There's never a time in a thinker's life when they've got it all figured out. I'm in my fifties and still thinking and still wondering.

    ReplyDelete